While on an outing for field work, I had accidentally dropped my 5″x7″ silver nitrate container from a good height, hit the edge of the curb, and it bounced its way on a grass patch, in which saved the structure of the box being obliterated away from the concrete surface. Lucky my silver nitrate solution wasn’t in it, else that would be a mess and a big hit to the pocket.
It is a custom made workhorse container which John Brewer, a wet plate collodion instructor and also a supplier (check out his website here: www.johnbrewerphotography.com) had made it for me last year. I really grind this box and it really lived to serve, and I have to say, John really built this well.
The drop had punched a hole through, and I don’t want to replace this as I am attached to my gears that I use most, and if I could patch this up, I would give this a shot.
Headed back to my woodshop, I sanded the chipped part and cut out acrylic sheet, enough to cover the hole. Using silicone epoxy, I patched on both side, vacuumed the bits and dusts, and parked it in the sun lit area for it to be properly dried.
The I began to think on an outer shell for this container, and I saw bits of carbonised bamboo which I had cut into small bits days ago when I built a smaller box for my landscape lens.
With wood glue and nothing to do in the late part of the morning, I had spent few hours assembling those bits, clamping them down every few layers to make sure the pieces packed well.